Saturday, July 9, 2016

Exploraciones y Experiencias Hoy

I was supposed to be in Pamplona today witnessing the famous running of the bulls but, unfortunately for me, I had an old injury start acting up earlier in the week resulting in a very nasty fall and further injury.  After talking to a number of people here at MLSA who have made the trek to Pamplona before and listening to their council, I decided that it was best that I not risk further injury to myself by heading there this weekend.  My disappointment is real.  As a person on a very tight budget, I know that realistically I am unlikely to have the opportunity again.  But everyone must play the cards they are dealt rather than wasting time thinking about how they wish things had been different.

Today, after getting some much-needed sleep, I decided to go on an adventure.  I hopped on the C2 bus to see where it would take me.  Where indeed!  The first place I chose to hop off was at a tiánguis, which is a flea market.









And, the pictures don't show it but it's hot here.  I mean really hot.  So I was ready to sit down for a drink and wound up in this little hole-in-the-wall bar.



I figured I would go ahead and have some lunch since I was there.  They started by bringing me a free appetizer-sized plate of paella!  It was yummy even though I had to pick around the meat.  (It's tough being a vegetarian in Spain, but that's okay.)  I had some wonderful patatas bravas and some bread.  This is the second time I have had the pleasure of enjoying patatas bravas and, whatever else may happen in my life, I'm going to learn how to cook these like a pro when I get home because they are wonderful - especially with the garlic aioli, yum!








Wandering around some more I stopped off to buy some gifts for family and colleagues and what should my wandering eyes behold but a Starbucks!  Well, since it's my favorite hangout spot at home, I couldn't resist a look to see what it was like.  The answer?  Just exactly what you'd expect. I feel a twinge of guilt, to be honest.  I'm supposed to be in Spain, after all - not finding a little oasis of the USA in Madrid.  But it did hit the spot and I know where it is now, just in case I start feeling homesick in the weeks to come.






So, I didn't get to go to Pamplona, but I had a great afternoon anyway.

Hasta pronto,

--AnneK


No comments:

Post a Comment