Tuesday, July 19, 2016

La Obra de Joan Miró

Ever since I was first given the chance to teach Spanish three, I have been teaching about the work of Joan Miró.  There is a great chapter in our textbook about art and he features prominently there - among Picasso and other greats, of course.

Even if the name is not immediately familiar, you probably have seen some of Miró's work before without being aware of it.  He did the poster for the '92 Olympics in Barcelona, for example.


And this famous España poster too:


So it was a unique thrill to be able to go and see his work with my own eyes at the Fundación Joan Miró in Barcelona this past weekend.  Miró is not for everyone, but his bold use of color and his sense of whimsy have to bring a smile to your face - even if you are a fan of more representational art.

The museum was cleverly designed all in white so that Miró's colorful work stands out.

This sculpture is pictured in our textbook but it isn't clear from the photo the dimensions of the work.  This is actually a very large sculpture - quite a bit taller than me.

I took this picture with the heads of the museum guests in it so you could get an idea of how large this piece is - it stretches from the ground floor to the second floor of the museum.







Oh no.  I think there might be a depiction of female anatomy in this one, so I suppose I won't be sharing it with my students.  It's a shame because it is very representational of his work.



And, just for the fun of it, here are a couple shots of some work that my students did back during our art chapter in Spanish III last year.  They had a number of projects to choose from, but the ones who do the Miró-inspired sculpture always seem to impress.



Hasta pronto,

--AnneK

No comments:

Post a Comment