Sunday, July 10, 2016

La Vida Sin Wifi

I must've needed sleep because I woke up this morning at eleven o'clock!  I had planned to attend services at the International Church Madrid this morning.  Plenty of folks online had spoken highly of it and, since I am feeling extraordinarily blessed, I felt it would be good to give thanks and perhaps make some new friends as well.

The night before, I had checked the address and the map, I had cross-referenced the metro map, and I had carefully planned out my route.  Take the Grey Line to Moncloa then switch to the Gold Line and head on to my destination.  Just a quick two and a half block walk after that - I couldn't fail!



Ha!  I got to Moncloa just fine and then proceeded to the Gold Line, only to find that my train was out of order.  I was a bit stymied, not having expected this particular problem, but I wasn't going to let it stall me for long.  I grabbed for my subway map and tried to find an alternate route.  Back onto the Grey Line and away I went.

When I got to my stop, I headed up.  But I didn't know quite where I was.  I had expected to surface one place but I was not there and, never having been there before, easily became disoriented.  I walked for a bit looking for the road and not finding it.  Instinctively I reached for my phone to check Google Maps . . . but I didn't have wi-fi there in the middle of the street.  And I didn't have time to stop into a wifi cafe for a drink.



I sometimes chide my students and my own kids about their dependence on wifi, as if somehow the world couldn't run without it.  But, stuck there in 95-degree heat, not knowing where I was, and having no idea at all how to get where I was going; I do sort of see their point.

In the "old days" I would have called ahead and let someone know I was coming.  That person would have probably alerted me to the train being out and an alternate route would have been planned.  I would have paper maps and directions written down.  In a worst-case scenario, I would have written the address down on paper and could have shown it to a taxi driver.



Lesson learned!  I either have to pony up the money for an international data plan ($$$) or I have to rely on my skills from the days before wifi.  And, though I didn't make it to church this morning, I did get a couple of pictures along the way.

Hasta pronto,

--AnneK

No comments:

Post a Comment